As a wine waiter, you have specific responsibilities for the service of wine. You should be able to recommend wines to guests that are suitable for the food they have ordered, the occasion and their budget.
It is up to you to ensure the wine is served at the correct temperature, in the correct glasses and with suitable ceremony (some wines have to be decanted). You may be asked to make recommendations for the wine list, which involves tasting wine, and coming to a decision about whether or not it would be suitable for the menu.
You will also be in charge of selling and serving liqueurs, brandies and other after-dinner drinks, and possibly cigars. You will need to liaise closely with other restaurant staff, so that you are on hand to take drink orders and serve guests at the appropriate times. You may also be responsible for briefing restaurant colleagues on the wine list, so that they can promote particular wines and advise customers.
• Communication (informing others, listening to instructions, passing on messages)
• Works effectively under pressure
• Customer care skills
• Of legislation
• Of Company policy and procedure
• Of Customer facilities and services
• High standard of personal presentation, punctuality and initiative.
• Polite and helpful
• Responsive and enthusiastic
• Positive approach to dealing with people