Information about this qualification could differ depending on where you are in the UK. Chose your nation to view the relevant detail:
Before looking at this particular National Vocational Qualification (NVQ), it is worth explaining the purpose of an NVQ. It is a competence based qualification, which means it reflects what someone does as part of their job. They are normally flexible and are essentially an assessment to prove that someone can do a job. Training is still required over and above the assessment to bring someone new or developing in a role to full competence and hence enable them to gain the qualification.
NVQs are work based qualifications, but can be delivered full-time in colleges. NVQs can be delivered by the employer themselves or with help from a commercial work based provider or college. Their delivery can be very flexible, including day release, on the job, online training assessment etc. NVQs are available at levels 1 to 5 and reflect the differing competences of different jobs, with 5 being the highest level of competence.
The Level 1 NVQ Certificate in Food and Beverage Service offers students the chance to develop their skills and knowledge to complete routine food and beverage service tasks together with the relevant health and safety aspects. The qualification is suited to anyone new to hospitality work.
Mandatory units to chose from:
- Maintenance of a safe, hygenic and secure working environment
- Working effectively as part of a hospitality team
- Maintain customer care
- Maintain food safety when storing, holding and serving food
Optional units to chose from:
- Clean and store crockery and cutlery
- Prepare and clear areas for counter and takeaway service
- Provide a counter and takeaway service
- Maintain a vending machine
- Prepare and clear areas for table and tray service
- Provide a trolley service
- Maintain and deal with payments
- Prepare and clear areas for drinks service
- Prepare and serve dispensed and instant hot drinks
- Assemble meals for distribution via conveyor belt
- Serve drinks