Information about this qualification could differ depending on where you are in the UK. Chose your nation to view the relevant detail:
The Level 2 Award in Cooking Theory and Practice is part of the portfolio of qualifications produced by the BIIAB, part of the BII, the professional body for the licensed trade. BII qualifications have a proven track record and are very popular with industry.
The qualification provides basic knowledge and skills necessary to plan, prepare and cook meals in a commercial kitchen or catering environment. It is designed for anyone planning, preparing and/or cooking meals in a kitchen or catering environment; preferably with some kitchen experience and/or holding a related qualification. The qualification will provide candidates processes and procedures needed by anyone working in a kitchen or catering environment.
The award covers eight key subject areas, including:
- cooking methods and their effects on foods
- cooking meat and fish
- making soups, stocks and sauces
- cooking a variety of vegetables, beans and pulses
- the presentation of cooked foods
- menu planning
- creating and maintaining an effective working environment
- vegetarian and gluten-free cooking
The part time qualification is approximately 60 guided learning hours.