1. Please give a brief overview of your career history – where you started, how you progressed, the companies you have worked for etc
I started off as Front of House Cleaner, moving up the ladder to top housekeeper within 2 years at the Hilton. I then moved to Ramada not only to be a housekeeper but a skills coach as well, looking after 10 other housekeepers. I moved to Macdonald Hotels and I currently work as head housekeeper.
2. Have you always wanted to work within hospitality, leisure, travel and tourism and why? If not, how did you end up where you are now?
No I didn’t. I went to a wedding at the Hilton and I knew one of the staff. She asked if I would help them out as they were short staffed!
3. What sort of qualifications and training have you had and what else would you like to do?
I’ve done an NVQ, D32, Train the Trainer, Coaching, Disciplinary/Appraisal Training, Management awareness programme, Rota’s Fidelio, PeL, Disability awareness, Coshh, Health and safety, risk assessments and Striving for Excellence.
4. What are the top 5 activities you would typically carry out on a daily basis?
Room attendants rooms list, checking, stock checks, cleanliness of whole hotel, computer admin.
5. What do you most enjoy about your job?
All of it, every day is a challenge!
6. What would you say is the biggest challenge you face on a daily basis?
Getting the rooms back on time and all cleaned to a high standard.
7. What would you say is your biggest achievement to date?
Working at Botley Park as it’s so different to the other hotels. We can pick up or drop off rooms very quickly.
It’s the best industry to work in as you can work your way to the top of the ladder, I enjoy everything about my job, everyday is a challenge.
8. Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?
Still working as a housekeeper, I don’t know where.
9. Do you have a favourite tale or most memorable moment from your career? If so, please tell us about it!
Winning Manager of the Year and being invited to London to collect my prize.
10. What piece of advice would you offer someone who wants to work within our industries?
It’s the best industry to work in as you can work your way to the top of the ladder. But make sure you give 100% on the way up.