‘It was career I grew up in and one
1. Please give a brief overview of your career history – where you started, how you
I'd always wanted to progress in.’
progressed, the companies you have worked for etc
I’ve been in trade for 18 years - worked my way up through all aspects of Malone Lodge Hotel. I also spent a summer working for a family hotel group in North America and also as chef.
2. Have you always wanted to work within hospitality, leisure, travel and tourism and
why? If not, how did you end up where you are now?
I’ve been in the family business since I was much younger. It was career I grew up in and one I'd always wanted toprogress in.
3. What sort of qualifications and training have you had and what else would you liketo do?
A large percentage of on the job, sales courses, customer service, marketing, finance, hr, people
development, IT skills, benchmarking.
4. What are the top 5 activities you would typically carry out on a daily basis?
Financial budgets analysis, sales analysis, accomodation rate reveiws,staff analysis, customer
5. What do you most enjoy about your job?
Improving the business
6. What would you say is the biggest challenge you face on a daily basis?
7. What would you say is your biggest achievement to date?
Implementing an entirely new financial reporting and budget mechanism for the whole business
8. Who has been the greatest influence/role model in your career and why?
Parents as they lead by example
9. Do you have a favourite tale or most memorable moment from your career?
Too many to remember!
10. What piece of advice would you offer someone who wants to work within our industries?
Get involved with the best people, ask questions and be prepared to work hard to progress
11. Why would you encourage someone to work in our industry?
Very simply, it offers a massive array of opportunities for those willing to work hard and progress.