1. Please give a brief overview of your career history – where you started, how you
progressed, the companies you have worked for etc
I am a community worker with a background in youth work and community work. I worked for
Féile an Phobail which is the biggest community festival in Europe. For the past four years I have
worked as a Community Development Officer for Fáilte Feirste Thiar.
2. Have you always wanted to work within hospitality, leisure, travel and tourism and
why? If not, how did you end up where you are now?
Fáilte Feirste was founded to promote tourism in West Belfast, to maximise community
participation in it and to ensure local people benefit from its growth.
3. What sort of qualifications and training have you had and what else would you like to do?
Mainly I have learned on the job. I am trained to deliver Welcome host training.
4. What are the top 5 activities you would typically carry out on a daily basis?
Liaise with local businesses and communities, update website, deal with community radio, send out
5. What do you most enjoy about your job?
Promoting West Belfast to a wider audience.
6. What would you say is the biggest challenge you face on a daily basis?
Lack of funding.
7. What would you say is your biggest achievement to date?
In terms of tourism; establishing visitwestbelfast.com
8. Who has been the greatest influence/role model in your career and why?
9. What piece of advice would you offer someone who wants to work within our industries?
Give it a go!
10. Why would you encourage someone to work in our industry?
There is a lot of job satisfaction in letting tourists know about our areas.