1. Please give a brief overview of your career history – where you started, how you
progressed, the companies you have worked for etc
Began as a Waiter in 1990 at the Empire. Through the ranks to Assistant Manager in 1996. Left in
1998 to become Manager of the Eglantine Inn, then on to the Parlour Bar as Manager in 2002.
Returned to the Empire as Manager in 2005. Always working for Wine Inns.
2. Have you always wanted to work within hospitality, leisure, travel and tourism and
why? If not, how did you end up where you are now?
I left school in 1990 with 3 A-levels, intending to go to university but I took a full time job in the
summer and decided to take a year out from studying, but never looked back!
3. What sort of qualifications and training have you had and what else would you like to do?
I left school with A-levels in French, Italian and Geography. During my career with Wine Inns I
have obtained many qualifications and training in all aspects of the business such as Human
Resources, Health and Safety, IT, etc., as well as specialist training in food and beverage service,
wines, cocktails, etc.
4. What are the top 5 activities you would typically carry out on a daily basis?
Human resources, food and drink service, entertainment management, administration, budget
5. What do you most enjoy about your job?
The event management aspects associated with running a top entertainment venue.
6. What would you say is the biggest challenge you face on a daily basis?
Managing people and resources as well as budget control in todays economic climate
7. What would you say is your biggest achievement to date?
Becoming manager of one of the country's leading entertainment venues.
8. Who has been the greatest influence/role model in your career and why?
The many managers I have worked under and the company, Wine Inns, as a whole. They have
taught me everything I know and allowed me to develop myself through great motivation and
9. Do you have a favourite tale or most memorable moment from your career? If so,
please tell us about it!
Watching Snow Patrol starting off playing to a handful of people in the late 1990's, but then
managing the venue when they played to a selected audience only to promote their new album in
2008 - feted by national and international press and media. Or watching Paddy Kielty when he was
a rising star of the comedy circuit by compering the Empire Laughs Back comedy club back in the
1990's. Managing many events featuring national and international stars at the Empire.
10. What piece of advice would you offer someone who wants to work within our industries?
It is a great industry for people and personalities.
11. Why would you encourage someone to work in our industry?
As above, but also it is a job and career for life. Many starting points which can lead to countless
other paths and directions.